Being up and moving, as well as sitting upright instead of reclined are just a few ways to encourage baby to settle into an optimal position when labor starts.
Other things you can do include:
- Curb walking
- Sitting on a birth ball
- Pelvic rocks for 10 minutes, 2 to 3 times a day
- Taking the stairs
- Scrubbing floors on your hands and knees
- Bear walking
- Sitting in a straight back chair instead of the recliner
- Chiropractic adjustments using the Webster technique
Things to avoid include:
- sitting with your knees higher than your hips
- Crossing your legs
Being up and moving is the best thing you can do to encourage baby to settle into a good position at the start of labor. Having baby in a good position will help labor to be efficient and might shorten the length of labor.